Thursday, March 3, 2011

Blessed Beyond Words

Since I decided to more actively search for my biological mother Tanya, I've had a lot of support from people in my life. And a lot of questions. Someone asked me recently if I was searching for her because I felt like I didn't belong in my family. This got me to thinking.

I am not searching for Tanya because I don't fee like a Widmer. My family is incredible and I couldn't ask for a better one. True, we've had our difficulties and at time all I wanted to do was run away.... but now? I couldn't imagine life without them.  I realize not everyone has a positive experience with adoption. I've watched someone I love dearly go through immense pain because of it. On my account, however, adoption is a blessing. I don't know much of the story behind my birth, but I know Tanya was single, and my biological father was married. From the letters she sent in the six months following my birth, she was reconciled with the fact that she placed me. Yes, she said she thought about me every day and missed me constantly, but her letters were positive, and it seemed like she was moving on with her life.

I am not looking for Tanya because I need another mother. I have an amazing mom, April. That's not to discount Tanya's role in my life, it's just the way I feel. My mom is absolutely incredible. She gives and gives and gives. Sure, we've had our differences and I've disliked her, but no one could ever replace her. I look for Tanya because there's questions I have.... Do I look more like her or my father? She says in her letters I take after my father's side of the family. But that was when I was six months old! I want to know about my history. I'd loooove to know what happened to Tanya and my dad after I was born. Knowing his name would be nice too. But overall, I'd like to meet Tanya at least once, and thank her for what she did. She gave me a family I would be incomplete without. Who could pass this up?!

Savannah- My Twin
Little Sisters Are The Best
Gotta Love The Fam :D
This Photo's So Old But I Love It!


I will continue in my search for Tanya. But not because I feel I don't belong in my family. Not because I feel like I need a new mother. Just to answer some questions about myself. Who knows?? Maybe Tanya will want to meet the family she gave me. But truly, I am blessed beyond words. Thank you Tanya!




2 comments:

  1. I like that your trying to learn more about yourself--and that's sooo true! Being adopted IS a blessing in almost all cases. I think it's brave of you to look for your birth mother. BTW, you're family is awesome but you are by far the coolest :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine - I am *so* thrilled to hear that you are seeking out your first family. I hope and pray that you are met with the same love and openness that you have in your heart. If not, it is TOTALLY their loss but at least you will have the answers you deserve.

    Have you been reading Amanda's blog over at http://www.declassifiedadoptee.com/ ? Amanda is a wonderful example of an adoptee who loves both her mothers. She (and her adoptive mom) have discovered that finding her first mother didn't divide her love or loyalties to the family that raised her but it has helped her be a more complete and whole person. She is a perfect examples of the truth that love is NOT a limited resource in the universe. The only thing that limits our capacity to love are the ones we (or others) put on it.

    Everyone deserves to know their history and where they came from, including you. I look forward to hearing about your journeys -

    Smooches - M.

    ReplyDelete